Chester City Centre invaded by Rhinos

Our local city of Chester is in the grip of Rhino Mania! 62 eye-catching rhinos created by the regions artists, along with 116 mini school rhinos have swamped the city with colour and excitement as Chester displays its creative side like never before.

Rhino Mania is a world-class art event that’s designed to have huge public appeal. From 5th July 5 to 12th September 2010, the 62 stunning sculptures will create a trail through the city of Chester with thousands of people following the stampede.

Chester Renaissance is working in partnership with Wild in Art to produce this event, along with the support of Bank of America, Cheshire West and Chester Council, Chester Zoo, BiG Storage and the North West Regional Development Agency, as well as many other passionate local businesses.

It will celebrate both the city’s cultural identity and its status as a must-see visitor destination. There will also be 116 mini rhinos dotted around the trail created by our talented school children.

Organisers hope the designs will prompt discussion over a range of issues from environmental to animal extinction.

Liverpool has run similar public artwork schemes, the Go Penguins and the Go Superlambananas series, to promote its culture and environment years and Manchester has had the Cow Parade.

So why has Chester chosen Rhinos as its signature animal?
Rhinos are some of the scarcest animals on earth. We have nine of our very own Black Rhinos in Chester Zoo. This event is helping support their relatives by fundraising for the Black Rhino Field Conservation Project in Kenya and Tanzania managed by the Zoo.

Where will the Rhinos be in Chester?
The rhinos will be scattered around Chester City centre, as well as a select few in Cheshire Oaks and Ellesmere Port. There’ll also be one at Euston Station in London. Turn any innocent looking corner and you may find a herd looking back at you!

What are they made of and how big are they?
The rhinos are made of fibreglass and decorated with paints and various materials. They’re then given a coat of weatherproof varnish and are 6ft long, 5ft high, 2ft wide and weigh 60kg – in other words, they’re massive!

How much does it cost to visit this event in Chester?
Not a single penny – this whole event is completely FREE. However, you can play your part in the fundraising if you like.

Who are the artists?
The artists are top professional and amateur artist from around the Cheshire and the North West.

Where will the rhinos live at the end of the event?
Most will be auctioned in September 2010 at a Gala Auction, while others will be returned to the community.

What happens to the money raised?
75% of the proceeds from the auction will be donated to the Black Rhino Field Conservation Project in Kenya and Tanzania managed by Chester Zoo and the Hospice of the Good Shepherd, a Cheshire based charity. The other 25% goes towards running the event.